Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Angry at G-d


Sometimes I question. I doubt. I yell. You know it is funny, we claim to love Deity, but many people never yell at G-d and shake their fist, they never shout at him, “Why you unknowable SOB has this happened to me.” We may think it in our deepest recesses, but feel heretical in our Westernized Christian culture really laying one on G-d.


I ask you to think of the other relationships that you have had in your life. Your spouse, your children, your dearest friends; how many times have you been angry enough to yell, scream, etc.. with them. Your relationships with these members of your family reflect the depth of your passion by reflecting the depth of your emotions.


My walk along the Path has been as rocky as the next guys. Enlightenment or Masonic light does not come in a day, in an initiation, or the regular attendance at a lodge meeting. It is not about those things. It is a personal and extraordinary journey with G-d if you let it be. But, in beginning this journey, one of the first steps, in my estimation, is establishing a personal and real relationship with Deity. Stop naming him, labeling him, and assigning him human attributes and then praying to a figure that truly does not enter into your day, outside of an impersonal prayer made with no expectation that it might be fulfilled. Hope in an outcome is the foolish man’s faith. Hope, as a system of faith based on intuition and a closeness to Deity is an aspect of the Truth.


So my message for today, something I took from Masonry. Love G-d enough to yell at him, love him enough to be impassioned about him.

5 comments:

Cory said...

So true brother. At least I know I'm not the only one.

tao1776 said...

For many years, in various parts of the world, God was thought of in matriarchal terms and not patriarchal terms. As above, so below, goes the saying...so some have thought of a God creator (male) and a watcher and helper (female) to whom you would direct your prayers. Parents in heaven! Or wherever a deity resides...
You don't want to yell at Mom, do you?

Theron Dunn said...

yell at mom? Sometimes.

SLUMP FACADE said...

Interesting post indeed...

Anonymous said...

Interesting indeed. I have found that, for myself, very few things incite me to rage or any other extremity of passion except if the thing in question is a person or something else of great value to me. Only the things I love most can stir up the coals. With that in mind, I have to think it is a good sign if you are angry at God, at least on occasion. If nothing else it show that you are personally involved with Him and hold Him dear to your heart.
P.S. Apologies to any who may be offended by my use of the G-word and the masculine pronoun "Him". It's just easier to express the point when not caught up in the form of it.